Spouses and children of the insured receive health care
The medical units of the Ecuadorian Institute of Social Security and the external providers that work in the country’s different provinces provide health services to the affiliate’s spouse, the spouse or partner of pensioners, and the children under 18 years of affiliate and pensioners.
This health coverage extension service is granted by the reforms carried out by the Board of Directors of the IESS, directed by Ramiro González Jaramillo, to provide quality health services with opportunity and warmth to the relatives of the members and retirees.
- The spouse or partner with the affiliate’s right with the contribution of 3.41% of the contribution salary, registered monthly in the IESS labor history system.
- Children under 18 years of age do not contribute to the health benefit.
- The spouse or partner with the right of the disability and old-age pensioners of the General Health Insurance, of permanent or absolute disability of the Occupational Risk Insurance with the contribution of 4.15% of the pension or income.
- Children under 18 years of age and disability pensioners of the General Insurance and pensioners of the Occupational Risk Insurance contribute 3.41% of the pension or monthly income.
Dependent beneficiaries are entitled to medical care in the following services, except for the economic benefit of monetary subsidies:
- Health promotion and development.
- Prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases.
- Recovery and rehabilitation of individual health.
- Prenatal care, childbirth, and puerperium for the spouse: when registering twelve consecutive contributions before birth.
Policyholders who wish to opt for this health coverage extension benefit must: register their dependents at the IESS Universal Care Centers, which operate in all provinces, attaching the following documents:
- Original copy of the identity card of the voluntary member, retiree, or pensioner of Montepío.
- Initial and composition of the identity card of the spouse or child under 18 years of age.
- For cohabitant: original and copy of identity card and affidavit of marital status (free union).
- Composition of water, electricity, or telephone form.
The active affiliate will deliver the following documents to the Human Resources Unit of the company where he works:
- Original and copy of the identity card of the member and their spouse.
- For the cohabitant, original and copy of the identity card and sworn and notarized declaration of marital status (common-law marriage).
Coverage extension request:
- Enter the portal www.is.gob.ec, affiliate system option, Application for extension of coverage to spouses or partners with rights and children under 18 years of pensioners.
- If you meet the requirements, prequalify the Application.
- The Telephone Attention and Scheduling Service will notify you so that you can attend the medical appointment and perform the required tests.
To deliver this new health service to the beneficiaries, the current administration of the IESS took the necessary corrective measures so that each unit has medical equipment, drugs, and medical supplies that guarantee the delivery of quality health services.